Mastering the Art of Self Sufficiency in New Zealand is not restricted to New Zealand but can be used by anyone, in any country. The growing sections mostly refer to a temperate climate but things like milking, cheese, bread, soap making, beekeeping, etc., can be used by anyone, in any country, to try self sufficiency for themselves.
In ‘Mastering the Art of Self Sufficiency in New Zealand’ Carolann points out that living sustainably can be achieved on a variety of levels whether you live in a city apartment, a quarter acre or a smaller section.
She offers tried-and-true recipes and techniques for those who want to try self sufficiency for themselves. Line illustrations by Lisa Allen show equipment and demonstrate techniques.
The only things that might have to be left to the lifestyle block include milking a cow, growing bulk amounts of vegetables and testing tractors on alternative fuels: Carolann has even managed to work out how to run a tractor on ghee (the clarified butter they produced), when no-one else knew how!
- Paradise Found
- Homemade Wine and Spirits – Oddities about home wine making – Wine Making – summary, Mulled Wine, Elderflower Wine and Champagne, Elderflower Champagne, Elderberry Wine, Elderberry Syrup. A Victorian Recipe, Damson or Plum Wine, Cider from apples and Perry from pears, Mead a Basic Recipe
- Cows – Milking The Cow, Hand Milking, Check sheet, Summary of Hand Milking, Machine Milking, The Milking Machine, Summary of Machine Milking, Cleaning, Processing the Milk, Equipment needed for processing the milk, Pasteurization, Butter, Cultured Butter & Ghee
- Cheese Yoghurt cheese, Sour cream, Cream cheese, Quark, Cottage Cheese, Feta & Hard Cheeses
- Alternative Energy (wind & solar), The Coal Range/ Wood Burning Stove & Water Pump
- Chooks – Chickens and Hens
- Bread Making – No Knead Bread, Sandwich or Toast Bread, Sour Dough Starter or Mother Dough, Sour Dough Bread, Soda Bread
- The Garden – Companion Planting, Companion Planting for Fruit Trees, Some Fruits That Ripen after Picking, Vegetable Glossary, Companion Planting for Vegetables, Pest Deterrent Plants, Frost Tolerant Vegetables, Garden Beneficial Insectary, Green Manures and Compost Teas, Crop Rotation, Bio Dynamics, Blueberries
- Bees – Swarms, Gobbledygook Deciphered, Situating your Hive, Moving your Hive, Frame Wirer, Foundation Fitting, Extracting Honey, Feeding your bees, Feeders, Top Bar Hives, Flowers that Bees Particularly Like, Oddities about beekeeping
- Soap Making – Safety, Equipment, Olive Oil Castile Soap Recipe, Milling Soap, Milled Soap Recipe, Milk-Based Soaps, Equipment, Ingredients, Rendering Fat, Trouble Shooting
- Good Food and Good Time
- About Me
- Self Sufficiency
- Recommended further reading